Insider threats originate from within an organization and are often the hardest to detect and prevent. An insider threat is someone with the ability and motive to exploit his/her privileged access to compromise your business’ infrastructure systems and data assets.
Potentially dangerous insiders can be largely divided into two categories — malicious insiders and negligent insiders. While the former can harm your business in spite or for financial gains, the latter can jeopardize your IT security by turning a blind eye to security protocols.
Here are some numbers to quantify the danger insider threats pose to businesses like yours:
- In 2020, 23 percent of insider incidents were related to criminal insiders (costing $4.08 million) while 63 percent were related to negligence (costing $4.58 million).1
- Only 46 percent of organizations have an insider risk response plan and 71 percent of them apply it inconsistently or on an ad hoc basis.2
- The likelihood of employees leaking files has jumped by 85 percent from the pre-COVID-19 world.3
The only way to tackle this menace is to detect insider threats early, undertaking remediation measures and repeating the same process regularly.
Download our concise eBook and start your fight against insider threats today. It provides you:
- Insights on identifying common indicators and early warning signs
- Guidance on enhancing security controls
- Powerful strategies to mitigate the risk and impact of insider threats
Get a free copy of the eBook now!
Talk to us over the phone to understand Insider Threats a little better.
- The Cost of Insider Threats: Global Report 2020 by Ponemon Institute and IBM
- & 3. Data Exposure Report 2021 by Code42 and Ponemon Institute
Make sure to add us or contact us for the latest news